Friday, January 13, 2012

Daddy, Daddy, DADDY!

Two things have happened to me this week that I will not soon forget.  

First, I was reminded that Ana is ACTUALLY my daughter.  The situation occurred around 11pm Tuesday night.  Everyone in the house was asleep and I was doing some light reading when I heard what I thought was one of the children calling for me.  I wasn’t sure if one was having a bad dream or what was going on so I sat and listened for a moment.  Turns out, Ana was calling me and with each time she called my name, she called louder and louder.  Obviously she was not asleep, so I went to check on her.  As I entered her room she was saying there was a bug on her, however, after careful inspection no bug was located.  In those few moments I recognized a few simple things about adoption.  These are not earth shattering, but I am always amazed at the small things that God allows us to see about our lives when we slow down long enough to pay attention.  

I am Ana’s physical representation of Jesus Christ.  Now that is not a new concept.  Since the first Adam, (in the garden of Eden) earthly fathers have been their children’s view of their heavenly Father.  Wow, how convicting that is for me.  For me, the reality is that little Ana was scared of a bug that may or may not have been in her bed.  For whatever reason she was screaming out for me.  Wow what an honor to be her earthly father.  As I chew through the eternal aspects of the fact that I am her physical representation of her heavenly father, I am reminded of several key passages that encourage fathers on this very fact. 

[4] “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. [5] You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. [6] And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. [7] You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. [8] You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. [9] You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.  (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 ESV)

[6] Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.  (Proverbs 22:6 ESV)

These two passages are motivation enough that I know I want to be found faithfully training my children up in this fashion.  I also want to encourage/equip other fathers to do so like wise.  This desire to train up children and equip parents happens to also be the foundation of student ministries at Lifepoint Church.  In God’s sovereignty, he found it fitting for me to be Ana’s father and in this, I want to protect her from bad dreams, imaginary bugs, and anything else I can.  Most importantly, I want to teach her the Word and instruct her in wisdom and discipleship.  May we as parents, covenant with our children and the Lord to ensure this happens in our children's lives.

[15] For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
(Romans 8:15 ESV)

The second truth I realized this week; many in this world will fail to recognize the fact that Ana is my daughter.  Today, I was purchasing Jennifer’s tag for her car.  (This was my third attempt, literally)  So while I am waiting in line and waiting for the process to be complete, my children are absolutely going crazy.  That serves me right for trying to accomplish too many tasks that took us deep into nap time.  As I turn to gather my children, I here a man shout, “A child just ran out the door!”  Yep, you guessed it, I am so proud!  That is MY ANA!  What happened next was epic.  I replied to the man’s outburst, “That is my child!” then a lady said, “No, that wasn’t your child…” when the reality was that YES IT WAS MY ANA and just because we look different, no one even thought it possible she would be my daughter.  Now I know what you are thinking, and no, I am not that guy that is easily offended.  The reality is that we live in a world that still see’s color and because I have a chocolate daughter people for the most part think I am babysitting Ana when she is with me or maybe, people think my wife is African American.  All this being said, I was not upset or even put out with the situation.  It was just hilarious and I am so thankful; thankful that Ana was standing right at the door for her Daddy to come and get her.  Another great day in the books. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful that my kids can call you Daddy and I can call you mine. You're the greatest. :)

    ReplyDelete